Suggest treatment for severe cold sweats, weakness and dizziness

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Last night I had severe cold sweats, combined with some weakness & fuzzyness. This happened once before.
It lasted for about 10 or 15 minutes, & then I was tired & slept off and on the rest of the evening. I was fine after that. What might cause that?
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

There may be several causes to the symptoms your describe. One possibility would be a drop in blood pressure. Most common origin for that is a heart issue such as heart arrhythmia or a structural heart issue such a valve problem. If you are under medication for high blood pressure medication side effects may play a role as well.

The other main possibility would be a metabolic issue. Most common one is low blood glucose (may be a side effect of medication in case you are treated for diabetes). Other possibilities would include electrolyte alterations or thyroid dysfunction.

So I would speak with your primary physician about reviewing your medication and its possible effects, measuring blood pressure, having some routine blood tests for metabolic issues as well as an EKG and in some cases a 24 hour Holter EKG and heart ultrasound.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.