Suggest treatment for severe cold, runny nose and fever in a COPD patient

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My grand pa is 73 yrs old.He is taking lasilactone 50,trajenta duo 250/500,deplatt a 75 and stator 80.he had suffered from c.o.p.d and mild coronary heart disease.now he is suffering from severe cold followed by runny nose and cough and mild fever.he is saying that when he is laying down to sleep he can't due to he is having breathing prblm while laying down due to watery cough.please prescribe a medicine that will work fast in these case.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible LRTI?Augmentin will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can understand your concern.

Based on the current symptoms described, the possibility of a lower respiratory tract infection/LRTI is high in his case.

For such an illness, a short course of antibiotics will suffice.

I generally prescribe oral tablets of Augmentin for 3-5 days. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe the same to you.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.