question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe cold and wheezing

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014
Question: my daughter (18 months) has been suffering from severe wheezing and chest congestion along with fever. doctor has advised nebulization for asthalin every 2 hours along with syrup omnocortil and augmentin. she has loss of appetite and her weight is 8 kgs.
kindly advice.
regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you are on right track

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Severe cold and wheezing as described and evaluated by your doctor is common in kids at this age
Not necessarily all of them end up being asthmatic.
You can safely continue the inhalers and medicines without any problem.
The illness should settle soon.
However one thing : I usually advice budecort twice daily for atleast three months if I see a similar patient in my clinic along with these medicines.
That should help in decreasing her allergic response .
Wishing your daughter good health
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology