Suggest treatment for severe cold and running nose

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had severe cold for past one week with running nose, congested nose during night. From today morning, there is blood discharge along with phelgm from the left nostril. My left side of jaw is also paining lightly.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be Upper Respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:

From the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Upper Respiratory tract infection(URTI). Bloody discharge with phlegm and left jaw pain are part of the same infection. You need to see a General Physician or an ENT specialist for evaluation as it requires Antibiotics along with nasal decongestants.

Meanwhile these instructions would help:

1. Steam inhalation with or without any medications like vicks vaporub - this will reduce the thickness of the phelgm and the congestion of the nose. As many times as you like.
2. Avoid cold and refrigerated food items.
3. Avoid sleeping directly under the fan as this will lead to congestion of the nose.
4. Avoid straining to remove the phelgm as this leads to injury inside the nose and will lead to blood discharge.
5. Cetrizine will help in reducing the production of phlegm.
6. Consume boiled water only.

Please follow the above instructions and see a doctor for examination and prescription of Antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will help you.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad