Suggest treatment for severe cold and cough in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: HI Doctor,

My daughter is 6.5 months old, with Weight – 7.2 kg, Length – 25 inch, HC – 16.5 inch.

She has mild cold from a month or so. From the last two days cold is severe, and she is coughing. We consulted a doctor here today, he suggested cough and cold syrup along with an anti-biotic (I attached his prescription).
I hear people say we should try not to use anti-biotics. If we use anti-biotics repeatedly, the immune system weakens. Is it correct? Shall we follow attached prescription for the baby?

I am breast feeding the baby, If I eat ice cream will it cause cold to the baby. Will my food affect the baby adversely?

At what temperature should the surroundings be for the baby. If the temperature is comfortable for adults, will the same temperature be fine for the baby. Can we keep the fan on while we sleep at the night (we don’t have cooler/AC)?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cough and cold are usually viral - no need for antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

Coming to your queries one by one -

1. Using antibiotics will not make the baby's immune system weaker, but the microbes will get more stronger by unnecessary usage of antibiotics which makes things difficult to treat in future.

2. Except Cepodem which is an antibiotic, you can follow rest of the prescription.

3. You can eat ice cream. The food you eat will not affect the baby's health in anyway.

4. Any temperature which is comfortable for adults is good for the baby too at this age.

5. You can keep the fan on, no problem.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T