question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe cold and cough in a child

Posted on Wed, 14 Dec 2016
Question: My granddaughter is three years old and has had a bad cold and cough. Yesterday it affected her eyes.. They are red and look miserable. Is this common for a cold and is it serious? I think you don't mess around with eyes but my daughter seems to think to give it time.
Answered by Dr. Arun (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes it is common

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Yes it is common for cold to cause eye redness and congestion.
Usually it will settle down in a few days.
Make sure she cleans her eyes with warm water and i usually advice antihistamines like cetrizine or allegra.
If eyes get swollen or if they become worse it is better to consult with your childs paediatrician.
Wishing your daughter good health.
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology