Suggest treatment for severe cold and blocked ears

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: last week I came down with a cold. Pretty severe cold and my ears were getting blocked went to my nurse practitioner she gave me some drops for wax in my ears. used the drops a lot of wax came out but deafness got worse. Now the cold is on the mend, not as much coughing and wheezing but plugged ear, deafness continues, should I see an ear doctor or will they drain on their own eventually
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please met an ent doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello

The best thing would be to meet an ent doctor as it is likely that the ear block may not be due to the ear wax and may be due to collection of fluid in the middle ear.
This normally follows a cold, but should generally resolve by one week.

Sometimes the fluid collection in the ear may persist and get infected, which can lead to hearing loss. This is more so if the collection persists for more than a week.

Therefore the best thing would be to meet your ent doctor who will confirm this and guide you further.

Normally in my patients i would start tab cetrizine 10mg at night and ask them to take steam inhalation thrice a day. Please try this as it will definitely help you.

Get well soon

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad