• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe cognitive impairment

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: my wife was just diagnosed with severe cognitive impairment. What things do you recommend i do for her?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
I read your questions carefully and I understand your concern.

Medically speaing at this stage it should be determined the cause of cognitive impairment. The most common cause is Alzheimer's but there may be other causes such as brain lesions (tumor, stroke etc), other neurodegenerative conditions lie Parkinson's, thyroid issues, nutritional deficiencies etc. So some blood tests for those issues as well as brain imaging is necessary so that treatment is according to the cause. Of course your neurologist should conduct this process. If it is Alzheimer's there is medication which can make her function better but eventually the disease will progress.

In the meanwhile at home should keep a safe environment, trying to have things organized in the same places, possibly with visual indicators. Should incourage and help her to have lists about daily activities, so she can continue her activities and promote her self esteem. When going out try to avoid crowded environments which increase confusion, when giving instruction s try to do so in a simple, step by step manner.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist