• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe chest pain

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've been having chest pain more aches for about the past week. It actually started about 4 weeks ago and then went away for a long time, but once I returned from vacation it started back up again.. I've been to the ER and the doctor twice now... but both say that it sounds like a muscle because both EKGs have show above normal activity for my heart... what else could it be? or are they wrong and it is my heart?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ekg would have shown changes to the heart

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

EKG show the conduction of impulses/currents in the heart. These are affected by the size of the 4 chambers of the heart and also by the blood flow to areas of the heart.

If an area of the heart is not getting enough blood as in angina or a heart attack then it cannot conduct impulse properly and this can cause permanent changes in an EKG.

The EKG would show the heart rate and demonstrate any abnormal rhythms that may be occurring.

Heart attacks occur because the blood supply to a part of the heart is cut off, that area can die off, this would show up on an EKG.
Angina where blood supply is temporarily reduced would also show up as would changes related to heart failure or abnormal rhythms or enlargement of any of the chambers.

If both tests were normal, then it is not likely that there is any abnormality of your heart at the moment.

Chest pain can be related to any structure in the chest from the skin inwards: (1)skin (2)muscles and bones (3)esophagus (4)lungs (5)heart- this has been ruled out
Muscle aches are common but if you do not think that the pain is in keeping with muscle/bone pain then your doctor can determine if related to the skin, esophagus or lungs

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James