Suggest treatment for severe chest pain

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Feb 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Halo I'm 55 years female
I had angiogram in September and my artery's are good at the time. In the last 4 weeks I have been waking up every night about 2am with dual chest pain and sweating pain over left shoulder, pince and needles my left arm and left calf mussel. Last week I have been to my GP doctor with this complaint and I have had ECG off my heart tracing.
Result we're normal.My problems still persistent.
What should I do ?
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably stress-related symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. Welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

These symptoms are most probably stress related. They are not related to have a joint diagnosis on the basis. It is a very good thing that now we know that your coronary arteries are clean, referring the angiogram you had on September. Therefore, these symptoms are not related to the coronary arteries of the heart. Even if some day in in the future you might develop blockages within the coronary arteries, it most certainly would take years of time as a process. I hope you are reassured by this insight.

I suppose, since this happens mostly during nighttime and wakes you up from sleep, it may also happen due to the rapid eye movement (REM) phase of the sleep, a phase characterized by an excessive brain engagement during sleep and higher than normal levels of adrenalin in the blood circulation. After you wake up, you start having questions, like "what is wrong with me?". More stress is produced, more adrenalin is thrown into the circulation, hence the symptoms of fear, like sweats, fast heart rate, localized pain in certain areas of the body. Therefore, my opinion for you is not to be worried about this and just try to relax. I do not think medication is needed, unless this phenomenon has a significant impact in your sleep pattern.

I hope I was helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Meriton Siqeca 23 minutes later
I also have been experiencing high blod presure 150/97 or similer sistilic presure had been ad high 105 and spikes with suger level all in early hours of the morningy sleep payhen has been desterbed and i have not have a more then 2 hrs sleep in one block all toghether 4-5hrs sleep per night in the last 4-5 weeks
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Maybe a short course of benzodiazepines

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

This stress situation should be passed first, because the elevated blood pressure may have a psychological content and relation. Therefore, my opinion is not to rush and put you on blood pressure-lowering agents. However, since your sleep has been compromised, I recommend you to see a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist, so that a short course if anxiolytics such as benzodiazepines can be tried and, hopefully, be helpful in your sleep deprivation and anxiety matters.

I hope you find my follow-up helpful. If you do not have further questions, close the discussion and rate the answer.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton