Suggest treatment for severe burning sensation in the shoulder and neck area

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a burning skin sensation on right shoulder and neck area. Feels like a terrible sunburn. No redness or rash. Has been about 5 days.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Abnormal sensations such as burning are commonly related to the nerves since the nerves are responsible for sensation.

Abnormal nerve function can cause burning, tingling, sticking, numbness etc. The abnormal function of the nerves is called neuropathy and there are different possible causes.

In some cases the exact cause is not known, it can be temporary or permanent.

Causes include: (1) diabetes
(2) infection such as shingles, this starts as abnormal sensations for a few days then usually goes onto to a rash.
(3) low vitamin b12 or folate
(4)either too high or too low levels of vitamin b6
(5)side effect of medication
(6)trauma to the nerves eg arthritis in the spine can cause the nerves in that particular area to give trouble
(7)thyroid disease
(8)liver or kidney disease

These are some of causes of neuropathy but as mentioned, in some cases it is idiopathic---- the cause is never found.

If this continues however you should see your doctor for assessment which would include physical examination and likely bloods to rule out some of the above.

A xray of the neck and shoulder may also be needed

There are medications that can help with neuropathy but specific treatment would depend on the cause found.
Medications such as gabapentin, tegretol, lyrica,amitriptyline. These are all used for neuropathy

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions