Suggest treatment for severe breast pain

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: What does severe breast pain mean doctor?
What steps need to be taken to handle it?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

There are many causes of severe breast pain or mastalgia.

Common cause of cyclical pain are a part of a syndrome called premenstrual syndrome. In these cases the pain increases premenstrually and is relieved after periods. It occurs in middle aged women and is relieved after menopause. Oral contraceptive pills and pain killers like acetaminophen help control it.
If the pain is non cyclical and not related to periods then it may be due to a non cancerous tumor called fibroadenoma. This moves about easily in the breast if the breasts are palpated. The treatment is removing it surgically.

Other reasons are a breast abscess or infection, trauma to the breast. There is usually localised tenderness in this and the breast looks red. Breast cancer is a rare cause in older women.

Pain from the underlying bones and mucles can also mimic breast pain.

So see if any of the above causes like trauma, infection or relation to periods is present. Also feel the breast for presence of lumps.

It is better to get an evaluation by a surgeon to look for the cause and then proper management can be planned.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist

Follow up: Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 36 minutes later
Thank you for the detailed answer doctor.
Is there any specific tests that need to be undertaken and is it in anyway linked to previous medical condition of PAH doctor?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed examination below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back,

It is unlikely that PAH being associated with this condition. However in this case it becomes important to rule out that the pain is not originating from the heart rather than the breast. So please check if the pain is cyclical related to periods. Also rule out any lumps. If these are not there then I would advice an examination by your doctor to rule out any underlying cardiac cause.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 10 minutes later
A couple of questions more doctor,

Is there anything that can be done at home to reduce the pain?
Also along with breast pain, the chest is also heavy and the pain in the breasts are increasing.
Does this mean anything doctor?

Thank you in advance doctor.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Simple pain killer may suffice

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Heavy chest with pain needs an evaluation at the earliest. If the pain is in both the breasts then it being related to heart is less likely. You may take a simple pain killer like acetaminophen to relieve it temporarily or use local pain killer ointment like diclofenac. If the pain is more on the left side then it is better to see a doctor before taking any drugs.

Hope this helps.

Dr Madhuri