Suggest treatment for severe body pain and chills

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: yes. i have severe body aches and chills to the point of shaking but no fever. any ideas what that could be
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
most likely due to a viral illness

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common cause is a viral infection though bacterial infections can cause these symptoms are well.

In most cases, additional symptoms start after the first few days which can then pinpoint the exact source of infection.
eg cough cold symptoms or symptoms related to the gastrointestinal tract

Initially treatment would consist of : (1) fluids and rest, this is usually key with most infections
(2)continue the advil/ibuprofen, paracetamol can be added if there is no improvement

Though instinctively persons tend to bundle up with chills, this would actually raise the body temperature and should be avoided

(3)specific treatment towards any symptoms that develop eg if gastro symptoms develop then holding off solid food, using medication for nausea and vomiting, probiotics, fluids and electrolyte replacement

If cough/cold symptoms develop then decongestants, antihistamines, mucolytics (to help break up mucus), cough suppressants-- may be needed

Etc

If additional symptoms occur, then advice can be given on how best it would be to treat these.

I hope this helps, fee free to ask any other questions