Suggest treatment for severe body itching

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: extremly seve itching all over, calamine, cotizone 10, aveeno, nothing is helping at all. do you have
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for generalised itching, allergies are the most common cause.
You may want to consider the use of an oral antihistamine in addition to the topical agents that you are using. These should reduce the itching and are available over the counter. Examples include benadryl, claritine, allegra, zyrtec

You should use these agents for at least 24 to 48 hours.

You may want to discontinue the bleach bath , neosporin

If there is no improvement then you may need to consider other causes of generalised itching such as: (1)infections- such as scabies
(2)liver or kidney disease
(3)abnormal levels of thyroid hormone
(4)iron deficiency

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions