Suggest treatment for severe beck pain

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I have had neck pain up high closer to the bottom of my skull on both sides of my spine. The doctor said it was a strained muscle. Yesterday I noticed I have a lump on the back right side of my head and sort of soft. I think some of the pain that I still have comes from that area. What could it be?jeff
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated and take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Neck pain at this age can be due to muscle strain, disc disease, migraine or tension type headache.
Localized pain without headache seems to be muscle strain.
Is there any headache, fever, restriction of neck movements, walking difficulty?
Any swelling should be examined for any abscess or lymph node.
Examination by a doctor may be more fruitful. You may consider taking pain killers and muscle relaxant under guidance of your doctor. In addition, local pain reliever ointment can be used.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Thankyou very much for your response. To follow up, I used to have a lymphnode issue 12 years ago causing me to get one removed under my right arm.
To ansswer your question, I do not have a headache or a fever. I do have restriction for neck movements which started first. I did get sick last month where I had mild neck muscle soreness. (the common soreness). The pain got worse and my cold went away. I am find walking but I have had 3 very minor quick dizzy spells. The doctor said that my right ear had fluid in it.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined by a physician

Detailed Answer:
You can get examined by a physician for any lymph nodes in neck region.
Most likely it is muscular pain and will response to pain killers and muscle relaxant.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj