Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 16001 Questions
Hi Im XXXXXXX XXXXXXX a serving officer in Indian armed forces. I have developed a serious pain in my back over past four months. I had a fall about five months back, which might have caused the damage but I did not do any inspection of my back at that time and carried out lot of stretching exercises. Now when the pain has aggravated seriously, I have consulted doctor and on his advice have got X ray and MRI done, I hv been told that I have L5-S1 grade I spondylesthesis. I have a whole career in front of me. I need to run, swim, cycle and do a lot of activities in my service. Presently when i get up in morning the pain is maximum and back is dead stiff. Kindly suggest me some non surgical treatment I can continue with my activities again and get my back alright again. I have attached the MRI report of my back along with this mail. My mail id is YYYY@YYYY . Regards
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Non-surgical treatment as noted Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes, you are just 33 years of age and the findings on MRI and the symptoms you have may need Surgery. What was the opinion of your Doctor? You have specifically asked for a non-surgical treatment. In my practice the following treatment helps many of my patients: First of all find a reputed Physiotherapist, who can advise you perfect exercises according to his clinical findings and what he can decipher from your MRI report. Secondly find someone good at acupressure, who can do it for you and may be teach you/ spouse or your friend to be continued at home. Both these things will help you to regain the balance between the uneven muscle spasm, relaxing them and thereby reducing the morning stiffness and the pain. Thirdly you have avoid all those postures, exercises and movements according to your Physiotherapist , but to re-start gradually whenever he/ she suggests you. If you go really gradual and according to the suggestions, you may well be enjoying the life as before. At the same time you should have a relaxed mind and body to get best results.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe back pain 23 hours later
Hi Sir ! Many thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate the detailed way in which you have explained me the best course of action. I further would request you to kindly tell me whether it is feasible for the vertebrae that has slipped forward (L5) to get back to its original position. I mean is there a treatment that can treat this problem permanently. Also, can you suggest me some exercises for improving my state and if you can please tell me the activities or events that I must avoid to ensure no further worsening of my problem. Warm Regards
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: added a few thing to consider Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your appreciation. The feasibility for the L5 to get back to the original position is very low even with surgery. But he good part is that the body re-arranges the ligament and muscle strength to avoid further worsening unless further trauma is done. The permanent solution is only surgery. The exercises are best learnt from the Physiotherapist , as they have to be actually done and he/she would change and add according to the status with improvement. Yes, the activities to avoid: Anything which needs bending over. You can sit down and pick up the things ( for which we normally bend) and stand again. Sudden side to side movements of the trunk over pelvis, Harsh bike / vehicle rode, stooping activities are better avoided. Just to add , please ask your Physiotherapist / Orthopedic Surgeon whether the traction to the pelvis/ legs would help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor