• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Doctor, I am suffering from back pain and after further examination through USG in KUB region , it was discovered 2.8 mm calculus in right kidney and 2.6 mm calculus in left kidney. I have consulted with an Urologist , who is suggested for further examination (copy enclosed). I have no other problem except BP. The details of my Blood Report is shown in the medical prescription. Here I would like to add that I had already gone through Cystography to remove stone from left and right ureter (in two different occasion). Now my question is (A) Is it curable without any surgery? (B) Is there any health risk if I travel abroad in this condition ? (C) What is your suggestion to get rid of this problem (D) Do you think that Surgery is the only solution? (E) Do you think, I need further examination ? (PSA 1.69; UI Acid 6.5)
Best Regards, XXXX

A) Is it curable without any surgery? (B) Is there any health risk if I travel abroad in this condition ? (C) What is your suggestion to get rid of this problem (D) Do you think that Surgery is the only solution? (E) Do you think, I need further examination ?(F) Is removal of stone through soundwave is painful?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You do not need surgery at present. Wait and watch. Drink plenty of fluids.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me try to answer your queries one by one:
(A), (C), (D) The size of stone is small. The location is important. If it is at the lower pole, as found in the ultrasonogram, it might not come out. But if it can move to the pelvicalyceal system, it would easily come out even without surgery. The policy therefore would be wait and watch. You also need to drink plenty of water.

(B) No specific health risk on travelling abroad. The only apprehension is that you might get sudden pain at times.

(D), (E) As of now I do not think that any further investigation is needed.

(F) Removal of stone using lithotrypsy (through soundwave) is not painful. You need not worry.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha