Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello sir.. My mother has back pain from 1 month.. Then we have consulted doctor they told that the disk between L5 and s1 stuff is reduced so they told her to take 3 months of bed rest and what is my question is.. After this 3 months of bed rest what will be my mother's position??? Will it be the same or will she come to a normal position.. Can u please give me some clarification sir

Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
needs physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have noted down the medical history of your mother in detail.

If the doctor has diagnosed her of having a disc lesion at L5-S1,then i think that only taking rest will not help her.

She will have temporary relief till she takes rest for 3 months.
Once she starts ambulating after that,the pain will again start to creep in.This is because,taking rest will make her less active physically making her bones even more weak.The basic problem of the disc will not resolve and that will again lead to continuing pain.

In my opinion,she needs to be active and fit as early as possible.

She needs to take physiotherapy in the form of lumbar traction,short wave or LASER therapy,back strengthening exercises.

She should use lumbar belt for back support and avoid bending forwards or lifting anything heavy.

This way she will recover faster and even better.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Best wishes for her speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana