• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Posted on Mon, 28 Nov 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctors
I have been struggling with back pain for more than one year now. I had visited many docs, did everything from undergoing X-ray to blood tests and Vitamin D3 test.
X-RAYS have shown nothing and blood tests are normal while there was vitamin D3 deficiency deducted which was then treated upon by the doctor by prescribing me Vitamin D3 supplement and taking 2 tablets of Macalvit 500 daily for two months.
After 2 months, my back pain diminished.
But after 2 months, it again struck.
I again undergone Vitamin D3 test, but this time there was no deficiency.
Doctor prescribed me Macalvit 500 again for 2 months
Now , Everytime I take macalvit 500 for 2-3 months, my back pain diminishes, but when I stop taking it, my back starts paining again after a month or so.
Now, doctor is saying that you have calcium deficiency too. Because you are vegetarian, your daily calcium intake is not adequate.
So, is it ok to take 2 tablets of Macalvit 500 daily?
And how much time would it take me to recover completely?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need proper back strengthening exercises.

Detailed Answer:
The recurrent back pain at your age with normal X-ray and blood tests seems to be mechanical back pain, more related to posture while working.
For pain and spasm to go you have to do back exercises to relive the spasm associated with this. Doing hot fomentation and applying muscle relaxant gel will also be helpful in relieving the spasm.
Correct your posture while sitting. Take frequent breaks during your work.
Lie on hard bed. Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy weight.
You can take anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to relieve pain.
The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.

You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. But taking these for a long duration with normal blood levels will not help much. It is better to start with exercise and build a stronger spine for a long term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you very much doctor.
I did some back strengthening exercises earlier but it aggravated the pain, then I stopped doing exercises.
So, can you please tell me about some back strengthening exercises and also about the sitting posture ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The first thing is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the computer. Keep your back straight, push your shoulders back, and ensure that your eyes are level with the top of your monitor. Rest your wrists on the table and not on the keypad. Bend your knees at 90% and keep your feet flat on the ground. These precautions should help keep back pain and wrist issues at bay.
Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water.
While sitting at your desk you can roll your shoulders and wrists, stretch your neck- in front, back and sideways.
The exercises need to be started after the acute pain subsides with gradual increase in intensity which can be assessed only by a proficient physiotherapist. You need to consult a physiotherapist for that.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon