• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Posted on Sat, 25 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband had numerous visits with a chiropractor. The chiropractor had him lay on his side in the fetal position and pushed down on his hips during multiple visits. Now my husband's glute muscles on either side of his tail bone are hard as a rock. He has limited mobility and is in constant pain. He is now experiencing pain and stiffness in his right Quadracept muscle. He has tried massage, myo facial release and numerous rounds of physical therapy to no avail. Orthopedic doctor says he needs a hip replacement but physical therapist said it won't help the muscle issue. Any ideas on condition or further therapy ideas?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hip replacement is seems inevitable. MRI scan can assist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can certainly understand your concerns.

I have worked through your query in detail.

As per your narrated history, your husband likely needs a hip replacement.

Before taking an confirmatory decision on this, it's advisable to get an MRI of the hip both sides to assess the state of the joint cavity and conditions of the muscle.

He seems to have muscle contractures and tensed tendons secondary to a damaged hip joint. Correction of this hip pathology will ultimately correct the secondary abnormalities.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 16 hours later
Orthopedic doctor said the hip joint still had "good gap" and doesn't want to replace the hip yet. My husband has been thru about 16 weeks of physical therapy from two different places. Is it possible he has piriformis syndrome? Orthopedic doctor can't guarantee that hip replacement will release the tight muscles.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI scan should be used to rule. out pyriformis syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

Pyriformis syndrome can be a possibility. But that is a diagnosis of exclusion.

To rule out sciatic symptoms due to a pyriformis muscle, it's important to get an MRI spine and both hips for further confirmation and therapeutic assessment.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank-you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu