Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Jul 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had progressively worse back pain after horsing around with a friend and picking him up. It's been 2 days since the injury. The day of the accident pain was dull and mild, when walking, and back was kind of tight. By day 2 my back ached fair bit more while walking. Leaning forward while sitting also seems to put strain on my back as well as sleeping in certain positions. Since the injury I really haven't done any corrective actions, besides taking a ibuprofen as I type this. the activities from the injury tl now have not been conducive to recovery as I have been walking for very long periods, sleeping on planes in contorted positions, etc... My pain has gotten worse today from sleeping sitting down with my head on my desk. I'm planning on going to the doctor soon and would like to know what I'm in for. I'm not sure if back pain woke me up, but it was throbbing when I did wake up and until I changed to a side resting position. Back is tender the touch and appears to be swollen.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
It seems your extensive horsing and lifting weight has taken a toll on your back. You also need to rule out inflammatory disorders as there is a swelling in the area, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.
After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. For pain and spasm to go you have to do back exercises to relive the spasm associated with this. Doing hot fomentation and applying muscle relaxant gel will also be helpful in relieving the spasm.
Have Warm shower.
Sleep on an electric heating pad under the area that is bothering you.
Correct your posture while sitting. Take frequent breaks during your work.
Lie on hard bed. Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy weight.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad