Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Excellent

Question
hi doctor, i have a sever back pain and i dont know what should i do for now. i have had pain killers and i dont think its helping me...i had a fall last week. is it anything serious???
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Prasad 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain with fall needs attention...

Detailed Answer:

Since there is history of fall, I would not want to ignore this problem. A physical examination and if needed radiological investigations - X-ray/MRI scan of the back is warranted.

Until you see the doctor, you can continue with pain killers twice a day. I will prefer paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs in this case along with muscle relaxants. Give it sufficient rest. Use ice and warm compressions alternatively. Avoid strenuous physical activity. Sleep on a flat and hard surface.

Without physical examination it is difficult to predict the severity here. But if you have no weakness, no problems with urination/stool and have no sensory complaints, it is most likely not sinister. However I still insist you see a doctor for detailed evaluation.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need clarification.