Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for severe back pain and abdominal fullness

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 13272 Questions

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: I got very dehydrated in Cancun - July 1-8 - very very hot alcohol all day, no water. Second day home I went to weekend clinic Dr. with high pain inside under my breast. Had UA Dipstick Auto w/o Micro. REsults: Negative. No other symptoms. Next day or two back pain and a feeling of fullness in abdomen. Saw new primary Dr. on the 14th - Dr. Zeep. She took blood. Results: Electrolytes were within normal limits. Kidney function, blood sugar, liver function tests, blood count were all normal. Lab work including amylase was normal. Lower back ache and abdominal pains were helped with Advil and lots of water. July 24. Getting out of bed very bad pain in back and stomach. On the 26th Dr. Zeep sent me for Cat Scan. CT abdomen and Pelvis with XXXXXXX (rouitine) - Bun/Creatinine. Results all normal, no cancer, no mass, no infection, back up in intestine. Diverticulousis and a slight thickening of the bladder wall. on the 28th had colonic. Results: she put a lot of water in and not much came in along with some small pieces of stoll. July 29th Dr. Zeep ordered Tramadol as pain was bad.
The next day I was very tired. Getting out of bed is the only bad pain I have and it is a 7-8.
What do you think I have? What kind of Dr. should I see next?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Opinion of Gastroenterologist and Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query and an elucidate, self explanatory history.
Read the history carefully.
To recapitulate salient points: Female/80 - dehydration July 1 to 8 - pain inside under breast - UA neg - back pain with fullness abdomen - New Prim on XXXXXXX 14 - Advil and lots of water - Bad pain in back and stomach on July 24 - CT diverticulosis and slight thickening of bladder wall - colonic - small pieces if stool - tramadol - wants to know what kind of Doctor to see - what can be the problem...

My thoughts:
Stool tests and urine tests by a Lab
Since diverticulosis and bladder thickening is there , it would be prudent to get a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines. (prescription based).
Add on a Probiotic.
Diverticulosis may have been infected or inflamed giving the pain in abdomen and referred pain in back It is then called Diverticulitis which a CT scan usually can pick up. But CT scan too has its own limitations hence a symptomatic treatment may be beneficial as mentioned above. Please discuss this with your treating Doctor. For the abdominal issues and back pain, further tests like colonoscopy may be required hence needs to see a Gastroenterologist.

The bladder thickening needs further evaluation. If this is urinary bladder that has been reported a second opinion of a Urologist is required.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis and a proper effective treatment.
Please feel free to give feedback, ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 hours later
This pain seems more specific this weekend. Rather than feeling general pain, I can find it with my fingers. The muscle at the top of my R hip bone is sore, the harder I press the more it hurts, My abdomen is still sore, more on the sides rather than the middle.The last two days it feels like muscles in my abdomen are pulling away from each other. Last evening i slept in my wonderful bed (organic latex) for an hour and then woke up and the pain was worse when I tried to stand up. As I start to stand up, my lower back hurts a lot in one spot. After I stand I can walk without pain.It is the getting up that hurts the most.
What do you think about Medical massage? Acupuncture?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to try to get a proper diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for an additional information and details.
Now is the pointed pain as we say - as you can localize well.
It is the getting up that hurts the back more - indicates that there may be a problem of the back that is causing the referred pains at the areas you have mentioned.
I would advise you the following:
Since there is localization and more specific sort of feeling, it is better first to get a proper clinical evaluation and examination to get a proper diagnosis. An MRI of the area - the back and the hip area may be of great help to get a proper diagnosis.
As you may know the proper diagnosis alone can help to have proper treatment.
Hence I would advise you to have the proper diagnosis first and then only go for acupressure/puncture or so.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Amylase

doctor1 MD

hi i was told by my gp that my amylase was high and so was asked to stop drinking alcohol for 3 months. After three months and all sorts of...

doctor1 MD

hi, i am 45yrs male,5 5 feetheight,70kg weight..i was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis for last 8-9yrs andhave been diagnosed for fatty...

doctor1 MD

Recent blood test revealed lipase level of 147, normal amylase level. I also have experienced acute pain just behind and left of xyphoid process...

doctor1 MD

would it be prudent to test liver function (blood test) -- given Lipase has been trending upwards (just above normal) Amylase trending lower...

doctor1 MD

I recently went to the emergency for abdominal and back pain and and they said my blood tests were great and that i was just constipated but when...

doctor1 MD

Sir, I am 59 years with no sugar and blood pressure problem . During routine yearly blood test , my Amylase and Lipase tests showed elevated...

doctor1 MD

Why is it I have so many stomach problems but yet nobody can give me some sort of reason why I suffer with so many things. I had my gallbladder...