Suggest treatment for severe back pain after a surgery

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have just had back surgery and was told that I would be in pain the rest of my life. Is there a pain medication that is safe for long term use. The pain is pretty bad, on a pain scale it would be about 7 to 8 almost every day. I am 58 and I have to take care of my grandkids, they are 8 and 13, my daught-in-law passed away 5yrs ago. Thanks, Hassie XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
use safer drugs,spine support braces

Detailed Answer:
Hi Hassie
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
How was your day?
Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern about taking care of your grand children with a painful spine.
I would like to know the details of your spine surgery though,like the diagnosis and why it was performed,name of the surgery etc.

for long term use, pain killers should actually be avoided, But if at all you have to take, tramadol,piroxicam are supposed to be safer.

try using pain killer skin patches now available in stores. you can paste it on skin and can get relief from pain for about 5-7 days at a stretch without taking painkillers.

use spine support belts,that will take care of 50 % of the pain..
I generally see many cases like this at my clinic.
You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     
I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil,
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj