Suggest treatment for severe back pain after C-section delivery

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife delivered a baby 3 months ago and it was a c section with epidural. Reason for c section was prolonged labour from morning 7 AM to night 11:00 PM and there was no dilation. Epidural was taken at around 7 PM evening and labour was induced to see if there can be any progress in the dilation. Since there was no progress further, c section was done at 11:00 PM with the same Epidural which was given and the Epidural catheter was removed next day evening.

Now she is complaining about the back pain where the epidural was given. She had no complaints of back pain 8 weeks postpartum, pain started after 8 weeks. She has tightness and severe pain in the area where epidural was given. Pain intensity is same throughout the day and there is no pain in legs, only in the back. While performing 'pelvic tilt' exercise, pain is felt more, where as while performing 'pelvic bridge' pain is not there.
So, my question is, is this pain linked to epidural? if so what has to be done to treat this?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised, get investigated

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
There may be two possibilities either a muscular or disc related involvement of spine or post lumbar puncture infection.
The possibility of post LP infection is less likely as no fever, headache and a long gap.
You should get examined by a neurologist and get imaging of spine.
Pain killers may be taken.
Pain modulator drugs like pregabalin or amitryptiline or gabapentin can be used.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj