Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe anxiety

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
I just moved to the Northwest Arkansas area and need a private practice psychiatrist. This area encompasses the cities of Fayetteville, Springdale, XXXXXXX Bentonville, XXXXXXX Vista, and Eureka XXXXXXX I have been looking online for days and made scores of phone calls to no avail. Most are associated with government type groups where you see a therapist first and then have to wait anywhere from 45 days to 3 months before seeing a psychiatrist. My issues cannot wait this long. I suffer from chronic severe anxiety and depression. I've been treated for these in the past but have been struggling along for the past three years with no help as I have been surrounded by Christian friends who believe my problem is a lack of faith in God. I'm a Christian and do believe in God's power to help me, but my problems have not gone away and they are debilitating, causing me to be unable to function normally and constantly battle fear and anxiousness, and frequent panic attacks. I just want my life back. I want to teach school again and live a normal life. I am willing to self-pay, so that I will not be restricted to doctors/clinics that take Medicare/Medicaid, which I'm on because of Disability following an accident that damaged my left femur and right shoulder, required five surgeries and a year on a walker, and compounding my mental/emotional issues.I'm now facing seriously stressful issues: my teenage son is in bad trouble with the law, is on probation and continues to make bad decisions. I've moved here to try to help him through is drug addiction issues and get him on his feet. This requires me to get a job teaching to provide for us both, and to find an apartment, furnish it (since I have nothing following a traumatic divorce and custody battles); my father recently passed away, my mother has Altzheimer's and is in bad shape; and I have chronic severe pain in my right shoulder from an unsuccessful shoulder replacement. In short, I'm overwhelmed to the point of dreading waking up each morning.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Practical solutions for your problem. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 50 year old female • Known case of stress and anxiety. • Complaints of: severe anxiety and difficulty in finding private psychiatrist. It is difficult to get private psychiatrist in many areas. Although there may be some practical solution for your current situation: -Meet some general physician in your local area with your treatment history and explained them about your situation, as they can also write psychotropic medicine in many cases till the referral is necessary. -Same time register yourself with government treatment agency, as counseling and psychotherapy also help to many extent. Same time you will get psychiatrist treatment after some time through the process. -If these things do not work, then visit some nearby or distant area to meet psychiatrist and request for long follow up due to distance. Same time keep visiting government facility for help. Although medicines are necessary in some severe cases anxiety but same time following concurrent measures will also help you to some extent: -Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0). -Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet. -Daily morning brisk walk -Do not use excessive caffeine (tea, coffee and cold drink) which increases anxiety. -Stop substance use like alcohol (If present in your case) -Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some nearby expert) I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor