• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe anxiety while on Nytol and Zopiclone

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi i take 15 mg of citralopram for anxiety and dep have upped dose from 10mg 14 days ago im struggling to sleep an have in the past few nights intermitantly used phenergran to sleep wich works brilliantly is this safe? Have tried nytol and zopiclone from gp in past neither worked
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This combination is safe except for those who have congenital long QT syndrome in whom it can cause arrhythmias (irregular heart beat pattern). It is a rare problem but does exist. Otherwise it is a safe combination.

If the increased dose of citalopram continues to give you insomnia (it should be getting better after 2 weeks), then talk with your doctor as another medication may be a better choice for you, or the addition of a an anti anxiety/sedative such as lorazepam might be good to get you through the reason you felt the need to up the citalopram.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Would i know by now if i had that heart issue?, if i did what kind of symptoms would i experience? I have taken it intermitantly before and have always been fine
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should be ok

Detailed Answer:
If you have taken it in the past and no troubles, then it should be ok. Watch for any arrythmia, but this is really quite rare. Symptoms would be feeling like your heart is not beating regularly, faintness or chest pressure/pain.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh