question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe anxiety, shortness of breath and panic disorder

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: Hi doctor im desprete for a answerso k do have anxiety and panic and they do cause many symtoms.However i think there may also be a underlying problem such as asthma . I feel a strong tickle sensation in my chest and a chest/ lung tightness i also get shortness of breath and sharpcold pains. The doctor said its nothing and my lungs are clear .I also get acid reflex that can be mild to intense
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT first.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
To rule out asthma or diagnose asthma, PFT is must.
PFT is pulmonary function test. It will not only diagnose asthma but also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
Stress and anxiety can trigger asthma and acid reflux.
So you should get done PFT first.
If PFT is normal then no need to worry for asthma and your symptoms are due to uncontrolled stress and anxiety.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist