Suggest treatment for severe anxiety despite taking Gabapentin and Klonopin

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have debilating severe anxiety panic disorder im on lexapro 20mg, remron 15mg, gabapentin 200 mgs 3x a day, klonopin .5mgs 2x a day.. doctor wants to try trilafon 2mgs 2x a day.. how long will it take to notice a difference in my anxiety .. what do u know about this drug for anxiety, ? does it help? I was doing fine for like 4 weeks. then my period hit n I spiral ed out of control again.. now it's over but the anxiety hasn't eased up.. what can be causing these dramatic changes in my anxiety
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it helps

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to assure you that perphenazine in low dose helps in anxiety disorder.

The drug is classified as anyipsychotic but have profound anti anxiety and tranqualizing properties at low dose.

It does not have direct anti anxiety property but helps other antidepressants to help in anxiety such as lexapro.

If the trilafon brings intended changes in your disease you will observe some changes by 10-15 days. The positive changes will continue to take place over a period of two months.

Although the pathology is not known exactly it has been speculated that premenstrual period makes women vulnerable for anxiety by altering neurotransmitter level and same could be true in your case.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
I tried zyprexa killed the anxiety but måde me really dizzy.. tried thorazine but did nothing.. I tried latuda that was like a sugar pill did nothing. hoping this helps.. with no side effects. do people usually handle the drug good?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most people tolerate well at lower dose

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

The Trilafon acts in similar fashion as zyprexa and it is possible that it will give you desired results.

The side effect profile is completely different we can hope that you will be able to tort it.

In my experience the medicine is well tolerated at low dose although at higher dose it becomes difficult for most patients to continue trilafon.

I hope this assists you further.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 31 hours later
do u think I couldve built a tolerence to the klonopin n that's why this anxiety is so bad?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I do not think tolerance to klonopin is cause for your anxiety.

I can remeber vividly that you were able to discontinue klonopin for one month or more. That could not have been possible if it was tolerance or dependence to klonopin.

Second the tolerance to anti-anxiety effects of klonopin is rare rather than the norm.

Considering above two facts I am not convinced with the idea of klonopin tolerance or its association with your anxiety.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 10 minutes later
why do people talk about tolerence withdrawl symptoms then? what are good drugs for panic n anxiety to the debilating sense that i have it.. im on all these drugs shouldn't they be working on it at some level.. at least a level i can function at?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

People talk about those things because over a period of time prescription becomes poison due to the fact that there is cognitive impairment as side effect and medication becomes necessity to keep person going rather than helping the condition. There are many other facts which can be described but not possible to include in this answer.

Buspirone is the antianxiety medication which does not cause any form of tolerance and dependence. The other options are SSRI and SNRI. The studies have shown than medication help in around 2/3rd of the patients and some of them do not respond irrespective of multiple number of trial. In that case there is need for augmentation with other medications such as antipsychotics.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards