Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and depression

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Sxxxxxxx! You helped me out previously with some questions and you were so absolutely wonderful!

I had some (neurotic) concerns over sebaceous hyperplasia, Fordyce spots, and information which I had found on "Dr. Google" talking about an association of those conditions with Lynch Syndrome and Muir Torre.

Unfortunately, I'm suffering from some health anxiety due to perimenopause, and you were wonderful in putting my mind at ease that those conditions are not markers for those rare syndromes.

Despite knowing that I should not have done so, I consulted google again and I see, as you indicated to me, that sebaceous Adelina can be a marker. The physicians assistant at my dermatologist's office had examined my face and forehead and indicated all the spots were sebadeous hyperplasia. I subsequently had the spots removed by electrocautery. Of course, now my latest fear is that the spots, especially the largest one, were sebaceous adenomas (yes, I'm a classic textbook case of a hypochondriac....I do take some meds and will be looking into therapy).

I'm attaching a picture of my forehead from before the electrocautery, the biggest spot, as you'll probably see, is located above my eyebrow.

Can you please take a look and, hopefully to ease my anxiety, confirm that it was sebaceous hyperplasia and didn't appear to be any of the other things associated with Muir Torre?

Doctor Sahwney, I cannot thank you enough for you help, assurances, and for being there!!!Actually Doctor, just wanted to mention that you'll see two spots above my eyebrow, the larger one I was concerned about was the one located higher up, probably mid way on my forehead.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be sebaceous hyperplasia, doesn't look like sebaceous adenoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photograph though it's not very clear.
There is no need to worry as this seems to be sebaceous hyperplasia.
It doesn't look like sebaceous adenoma.
Relax and don't stress yourself.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Dr. Asmeet, once again, I cannot thank you enough for your reply and reassurances. Health anxiety can be a brutal thing to deal with, and you have been so very, very helpful in helping me cope with it, you have truly been like a guardian XXXXXXX to me. (My next step is looking into therapy, I presume perhaps cognitive behavioral therapy, as my anti-anxiety/anti-depressant medications don't seem to be working quite as well as they have in the past -- I'm thinking that my peri menopausal hormones are exacerbating my anxiety).

You are such a caring and special doctor, and I thank you immensely for putting my mind at ease once again!

God bless you and have a wonderful day!
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best!!
God bless you!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T