• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and depression while on Prozac and Lorazepam

Posted on Sat, 11 Feb 2017 in Mental Health
Question: 40 YO FEMALE W SEVERE ANXIETY, NOT ABLE TO WORK ALSO MOD DEPRESSION. ALL LABS WERE NORMAL. PT IS NOT SUICIDAL.
I HAVE TRIED PROZAC, LORAZEPAM PRN BUSPAR BUT SHE WAS NOT BETTER ,
AND NOW ON EFFEXORE. PT IS DOING BETTER BUT NOT BY MUCH.
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE NEXT BEST THING TO DO?

TX SO MUCH
DR. TORABI
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

For this case of anxiety, the next step is to gradually increase the Effexor, slowly, up to the maximum dose of 300mg daily. Wait 6 weeks. If anxiety has not significantly improved, consider using a tricyclic antidepressant such as Elavil, or an atypical antipsychotic such as Seroquel.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist