Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and abdominal cramps

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: today is my 3rd day on my period. I woke up shaking like crazy with anxiety. my pain from cramps were horrible .. I went to the hospital they gave ativan 1mg. after i took .5mgs of klonopin 2 hours earlier.. they gave me motrin, anti nausea, n cipro for uti.. it's 5 hours later after ativan n my anxiety is so severe i don't know what to do.. im on lexapro 20mgs. remron 15mgs, gabapentin 200 mgs 3x a day plus klonopin .5mgs 2x a day.. I think it's due to my period n the uti that my anxiety is so bad.. im trying to relax n go to sleep but I can't cause of the anxiety n nausea. I don't wanna take anymore benzos i feel like im going nuts.. I had my anxiety pretty much better controlled up until a couple days before my period. n the last 2 periods i had Alittle increase in anxiety but nothing like this.. any insight for me?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry that you're having so much anxiety. I agree with you that benzos are not a good idea -- over time, they cause addiction, withdrawal, memory loss, confusion. A better approach would be to make an appointment with your psychiatrist to discuss other options, including increasing gabapentin (up to 600mg three times a day can be used for anxiety), increasing Remeron (up to 45mg daily can be used), or starting cognitive behavioral therapy.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 5 minutes later
is it safe to say it's bc of my period n uti n it will settled down once it's over?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Being on your period and having a UTI can certainly make anxiety worse. I would expect anxiety to decrease once these things are over.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 8 hours later
Im dizzy today which is making me more anxious.. is this normal symptom of anxiety
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, dizziness is a normal symptom of anxiety. It is not dangerous, will not hurt you, and will resolve with time.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 27 hours later
have you heard of trilafon 2mgs 2x a day for anxiety .. the doctor wants to try it.. I know it's an old drug But do u know if it helps with anxiety
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this is a good drug! I would try it.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
I am on day 5 of my period.. I was search ing the net n most women say there anxiety calls down by now.. I had the day from hell constant panic since this morning till now.. is it possible that my anxiety is still acting up bc of my period still hasn't ended.. I constantly shake all day my thoughts are all over the place.. I thought these meds im on is suppose to take this away.. I also do cbt therapy. I don't know how else to deal with this.. I constantly wanna go to the hospital bc of this anxiety that's so severe .. it causes dizziness,throwing up, burning in my arms n legs, disassociat ion, it's all too scary.. ive been dealing with this for 1 n half years already up n down i go.. im good for a couple weeks then the rug gets pulled out from underneathe me.. n I spiral out of control
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
It is going to take at least 2 more weeks for any medication change to take effect. CBT will take at least 4 weeks. You need to be patient and give the treatment time to work.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
have you heard of Doxazosin for anxiety 1mg? would that calm me down
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
It is typically used for treatment of nightmares, not anxiety. I would stick with your current treatment plan.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 hours later
do u know of any exceptional psych doctor in ny ny area.. specializing in severe anxiety disorder
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
The best for anxiety is CBT/DBT Associates. (212) 546-9200.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 18 hours later
do u think a return of these anxiety symptoms that are so bad could be klonopin tolerence? I keep reading about tolerence withdrawl.. could that happen ?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this is why CBT is so important, because tolerance is not a problem when it comes to therapy.

Please rate and close this answer thread.