Suggest treatment for severe ankle pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello doctor,
I have been running 5, 10, kms regularly over the past year.
I also proceeded to run my 1st half marathon this Feb.
however, I have been plagued by ankle pains almost always.
I have tried getting right shoes, tried to get my posture right and always land on my toes or mid sole, never on my heel.
I have realised over the course of time that my right foot is a bit smaller than my left and thus use the runners knot on the right while running.
however, after a break of 7 days, when I started running again, my pain has started again.
pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
WEAK BONES AND SOFT TISSUES

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Running for 5-10 kms or a marathon puts the ankle / feet bones,ligaments and tendons under tremendous mechanical stress.

Unless you are properly trained,and unless the bones and these soft tissues are strong enough to sustain this stress,pain is bound to happen.

In your case,these structures seem to be weak that is why,as soon as you start running,the pain restarts.

I suggest you to consult a proper athletic trainer who can asses your ankle / feet strength and train you gradually to attain the maximum limit of stress that your body can sustain.

You can get CT scan / MRI of the ankles to rule out other causes of pain.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana