Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe ankle pain

Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello doctor,
I have been running 5, 10, kms regularly over the past year.
I also proceeded to run my 1st half marathon this Feb.
however, I have been plagued by ankle pains almost always.
I have tried getting right shoes, tried to get my posture right and always land on my toes or mid sole, never on my heel.
I have realised over the course of time that my right foot is a bit smaller than my left and thus use the runners knot on the right while running.
however, after a break of 7 days, when I started running again, my pain has started again.
pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Running for 5-10 kms or a marathon puts the ankle / feet bones,ligaments and tendons under tremendous mechanical stress.

Unless you are properly trained,and unless the bones and these soft tissues are strong enough to sustain this stress,pain is bound to happen.

In your case,these structures seem to be weak that is why,as soon as you start running,the pain restarts.

I suggest you to consult a proper athletic trainer who can asses your ankle / feet strength and train you gradually to attain the maximum limit of stress that your body can sustain.

You can get CT scan / MRI of the ankles to rule out other causes of pain.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.