Suggest treatment for severe acne associated with scarring

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Suffering from severe acne and marks

How can I make sure that there is no permnent scaring? How do I subside the pimples?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adult acne, requires long term treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
I have seen the attached pictures .
You surely seem to have moderate to severe acne associated with scarring.
Now as far as your treatment is concerned, you have been prescribed both topical and oral anti acne agents which are seemingly sufficient for your problem.
You been have following the mentioned treatment for a month already . A month would be a very small time to judge the efficacy of this treatment . So I would advise you to keep follow with your treating doctor and continue the medicines as advised . Adult acne are quite difficult to bring under control and they might require long term treatment.
As far as acne scars are concerned, the most important thing is to avoid picking of the lesions.
You should regularly use a sunscreen before any sun exposure since direct sunlight can also cause darkening of acne lesions and scars.
Right now , you have not been prescribed a skin lightening agent to control the acne scars. I usually give my patients a lightening agent with kojic acid to be applied over the dark scars so as to improve the overal skin appearance. You can discuss this option with your doctor. Also it is a good idea to start with an anti scar treatment in the form of chemical peeling or dermabrasion along which helps in preventing acne scarring .

I am sure the above measures will be useful to you and you can chalk out the further treatment after discussing the same with your doctor.

Dr Geetika Paul