Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

146 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe acne associated with scarring

Answered by
Dr. Geetika Paul


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2609 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Suffering from severe acne and marks

How can I make sure that there is no permnent scaring? How do I subside the pimples?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adult acne, requires long term treatment

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
I have seen the attached pictures .
You surely seem to have moderate to severe acne associated with scarring.
Now as far as your treatment is concerned, you have been prescribed both topical and oral anti acne agents which are seemingly sufficient for your problem.
You been have following the mentioned treatment for a month already . A month would be a very small time to judge the efficacy of this treatment . So I would advise you to keep follow with your treating doctor and continue the medicines as advised . Adult acne are quite difficult to bring under control and they might require long term treatment.
As far as acne scars are concerned, the most important thing is to avoid picking of the lesions.
You should regularly use a sunscreen before any sun exposure since direct sunlight can also cause darkening of acne lesions and scars.
Right now , you have not been prescribed a skin lightening agent to control the acne scars. I usually give my patients a lightening agent with kojic acid to be applied over the dark scars so as to improve the overal skin appearance. You can discuss this option with your doctor. Also it is a good idea to start with an anti scar treatment in the form of chemical peeling or dermabrasion along which helps in preventing acne scarring .

I am sure the above measures will be useful to you and you can chalk out the further treatment after discussing the same with your doctor.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Kojic acid

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 29 years old female and i am seeing slanting black lines from sides of my nose? Please see attached pics. What are these? I am worried as this is quite visible.

doctor1 MD

Hello sir, I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX having a problem of Acne on the sides of chin. I used to have this problem before my marriage. now again having the same Acne problem on both sides of the Chin. and having black marks and pain on the skin . Could...

doctor1 MD

Some area of my face skin has black patches. I used to not have it before. The remaining face skin is soft smooth and young. Please help in removing black patches and getting soft smooth and young skin. Please let me know of any cream that I can...

doctor1 MD

hi this is ravi from ranchi,i am a boy 27 yr old,with Wheaties complexion ,earlier i was using bright cream a combination of hydroqunion and kojic acid,i notice changes after applying this cream but restore to normal complexion, i heard about malaglow and want to know about it more,my skin type is oily,can i use this cream(malaglow)?

doctor1 MD

my wife used hydroquinone tretinoin and mometasone furoate cream for 1 month for melasma on her cheeks along with a sun screen lotion. It was prescribed by a dermatologist and there was very good results within 2 weeks. After 1 month's treatment as per doctors advice the above said hydroquinone cream as reduced to alternate days with addition of kojic acid dipalmitate (alternate days). But after 10 days, the dark spots have started to appear. Kindly let me know whats the reason for this reappearance. Please advise us a suitable remedy. Venkat