• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: About one minute after eating I belch a small amount of clear phlegm. After this I have the feelingthat some residual phlegm is in the back of my throat. What is the probable cause and what do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible due to acid reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and i understand your concern.

According to what you describe and your past medical history i think that this is a symptom of the acid reflux.

The acid goes to your esophagus ( the tube where the food goes through ) and sometimes irritates your throat, in result you belch flegm and have the feeling of residual phlegm in your throat.

Acid reflux(GERD) is a chronic dissease, means that you will experience it again in the future .

I would give these recommandation :
-Eat healthy: Avoid spicey food,less fried or fatty food , less coffe, no smoking or alcohol ( if you do) .Eat small meals several times a day, eat dinner at least 2 hours before you sleep .
-Start an Over the Counter medication (OTC) that is a PPI group of drug ( Omeprazol, esomeprazol..) 20mg / day or Antihistamine group of drugs ( Ranitidine ) for 2-4 weeks.

If you dont feel any better , you should go to a local doctor for further evaluation.

Hope i have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, i will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rudina Balliu