Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux while on Omeprazole

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is it safe to take omeprazole over along time for Acid Reflux , because as I also take medication for Kidney Disease, have been told that it could harm my Kidneys in the long term. My doctor changed these for Raniitidine which often give me mild headaches. I had no side affects with Omeprazole.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Omeprazole over a long time can weaken the bones and can cause fractures in elderly individuals.
Though not common it can affect kidneys.
So try to avoid taking omeprazole over a long period of time.

Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad