Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux in an elderly person

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Patient is 65 years old female, born in XXXXXXX currently residing in New York, USA for last 10 years.
She is suffering from digestive issues for the last 1 year. We have taken her to Gasentrologist and last year in May 2015, doctor performed Endoscopy and EUS to look into pancreas. Everything was normal except for H-pylori bacteria. Doctors suggested that no need to treat Hpylori if it does not bother her. But we still did it with a combination of 3 drugs clarithomycin, prilosec and flagyl. She could not continue with the 3 drugs and after 8 days we have to stop it . Since then her gas problem became worst. We took her back to gasentrologsit,,,they suggested over the counter probiotics medication and yogurt etc. Her recent blood work is normal. Her H-pylori bacteria still exist.We are even trying to consult Homeopathic doctors medication from XXXXXXX
Her current symtoms is--- loss of apetitie, burping, gas etc.
How to cure this? any kind of yoga? looks like medications are not working. She also has high blood pressure controlled by medications.
Please advice
Mr XXXXXXX
New York
USA
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Iladac-L, VSL#3

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
She has dyspeptic and reflux symptoms. You also have given her a short course treatment for H.pylori.

The following medications can be given for symptom relief.

1. C.Iladac- L 1-0-0 before food for 4 weeks
2. C.VSL #3 1-0-0 for 4 weeks.

These are available in XXXXXXX You can purchase it in XXXXXXX

Also get her blood glucose and thyroid function checked.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 22 hours later
Sir, thanks for your reply. do you know any company that i can order it from India?

Thanks
Mr XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am not sure whether you can buy it online.
But these medications are available in all pharmacy shops in XXXXXXX

Dr.R.K.