• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux and heartburn while on Cymbalta

Posted on Tue, 11 Oct 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I was put on Cymbalta back in probably 2007 for anxiety. Now switched to the generic form maybe 3or 4 months ago due to cost. So I'm having like some serious chest pain and it feels like heartburn or acid reflex times 10. When I breathe in its a sharp pain in my left chest and about mid breathe it goes to the right side of my chest. Also have a constant feeling like I'm going to crap myself or vomit. I have moments where my legs will get hot and sweaty and then get tingly and I'll have like hot flashes. They last a few minutes and then go away. I don't have insurance so I've been trying to deal with it but it's getting to controlling of my life.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

What you are describing are consistent with somatic symptoms of anxiety. It may be that switching to the generic form of Cymbalta has resulted in loss of efficacy. I would recommend speaking with your doctor about either raising the dose or switching to a different but related medication such as Effexor or Pristiq. I would also recommend visiting a primary care doctor for a physical exam, basic bloodwork, and an EKG.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 56 minutes later
is it also a side effect that if you run out of medicine for a couple days that it'll mess with your vision and balance?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, missing medication can result in withdrawal which can include dizziness and vision changes. You should not miss your medications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist