Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Am a 55 year old female experiencing abdominal pain. Have had issues with inflammatory condition of the colon in my teens. My guess is that I have colitis. Could that be correct? Going to my doctor this afternoon.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm.
Abdominal pain is non specific symptom and you need to give me some more details. If there is associated fever, nausea,diarrhea or vomit then may be caused by infections such as parasitic infection or salmonella. if this lasts for longer period then it may be inflammatory bowel disease,iBS or diverticulosis. in first case,you need to have easier diet,plenty of fluids and probiotics. in second case , you should do colonoscopy to rule out intraluminal diseases especially if there is blood or mucous in stool. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad