Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain, weakness, fatigue and shortness of breath

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Stomach pain....excessive deep belching....weight loss -45 pounds in past 8 to 9 months without trying. I had an endoscope test. I did have an ulcer which dr said was not significant. severe fatigue and weakness and shortness of breath. I had blood transfusion 2 months ago because my blood count was 6.9. ER dr said I had blood in stool. I can't sleep through the night...usually end in in recliner. Reduced hours at work.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Stomach pain, belching, significant weight loss, gastric ulcer on GI endoscopy, blood in stools and low HB count points towards internal GI bleed and it appears to be more than an ulcer. I dont want to worry you but i think you need further work up to rule out inflammatory bowel diseases like crohns and ulcerative colitis as well. You should get XXXXXXX swalloing studies, x ray defecography, colonoscopy and rectal examination.

Blood in stools once sorted out for the cause which may be just due to stomach ulcer you had, the management tailored accordingly will sort it out. Till then modify diet and lifestyle , take more fiber and fluids, avoid triggers like alcohol, spices, soda, beverages, tea , coffee and processed canned foods. Visit a gastroenterologist and let them take it from there.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
With all the symptoms I have......what would your first most likely diagnosis be? I know without testing first, it will be a professional guess. I have no insurance at the moment and unable to pay for numerous test. Which test should I start with?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Differentials listed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Well going from commonest to rarest, i would follow in descending order of peptic ulcer disease, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel diseases (crohns ulcerative colitis ) followed by some rare causes on work up and colonoscopies. Diet and lifestyle adjustments, as we discussed above, will help the symptoms along with supportive care.

I hope it helps.
Khan