Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain that radiates to the lower intestinal area

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Abdominal pain. Acute and very sharp. Has radiated from just below rib cag to lower intestinal area. Nausea, induced vomiting. Felt onset of dry heaves. Had physical exam at urgent care, suggested ultrasound. Precscribed dicyclomine. Have felt pain most of the last 6-1/2 hours. No food intake other than a vanilla milkshake . No other fluids. Symptoms are of my fiancé. I'm typing on her behalf

Did visit an MD, earlier today at an urgent care facility
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
To check for kidney stones, cholecystitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Based on your query, I would like to check for urolithiasis (stones in the kidney/urinary tract) & cholecystitis (gall bladder inflammation)

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*which side of the abdomen does she have the pain?
*does it radiate elsewhere?
*is this the first time she had this kind of pain?
*has she been ill ore traveled recently?
*is the pain better after induced vomiting?
*does she have any other symptoms such as fever, vomiting, loose stools, burning while urinating, pain while urinating?
*does she have any other medical issues or take any medications?
*when has she last passes urine or stools? Had she noticed any change in colour of her urine?
*is she able to pass gas (fart)?
*is her abdomen bloated? Soft or hard?

I recommend :
- an ultrasound abdomen to check for stones and gall bladder inflammation. CT scan if indicated
-plenty of fluids if her abdomen is soft and she is able to pass gas. Intravenous fluids if not possible to drink
-blood tests (complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests, electrolyte levels I clouding calcium, blood glucose panel)
-electrocardiogram and chest Xray.

Further tests may be necessary based on the results of the above and clinical exam.
*is she better after the dicyclomine?

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you both good health. Hope she feels better soon

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng