Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain, nausea and profuse sweating in an elderly person

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 55 year old woman acute onset of lower left abdominal pain, wave of nausea, sweating and excessive mouthwatering
had bowel movement during episode wasnt constipated
ate meal 45 minutes ago
has passed now
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to colitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, It could have been a single episode hard stool causing pain or possibility of inflammation of bowel wall but since it is the third time it has occurred, so other causes should be ruled out on ultrasound and Xray abdomen.

Colonoscopy for diverticulosis etc can wait and not indicated yet. However blood work up with complete blood picture and stool microscopic examination and for occult blood should be done.

Using motility agents like domperidone along with stool softeners like lactulose once or two doses will be sufficient for symptomatic relief in both vomiting and pain. Drink plenty of fluids.Eating fibre containing diets and avoiding greasy and high protien diets for few days will be of help.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar