Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain, fever and cough

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 2 Jun 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My husband is having severe abdominal pain with N/V and a fever of 101. This is the 2nd day and he will not budge for er. He is moaning in his sleep and also has a cough. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am Dr. Kumar a Gastroenterologist and would be addressing your query.
Before answering your question let me give you a briefing about the problem your husband is suffering from this will help you understand things better.

He is suffering from an ailment called Gastroenteritis. It's also commonly referred to as stomach flu. The gastrointestinal tract, which comprises of the small intestine and stomach gets inflamed. Gastroenteritis is indicated by the symptoms such as diarrhea, acute nausea and severe spasmodic pain in the abdomen with formation of excessive gases. Fever is a indicator of ongoing severe infection some times exhaustion and dehydration are also observed.However its not necessary that all symptoms are there in every patient. This disease usually lasts not more than two weeks. Infections caused by virus, bacteria, parasites or fungi may lead to gastroenteritis. Viruses account for this disease the most. This disease is transmitted mainly from food items and contaminated water. The most common remedy in case of gastroenteritis is having electrolyte solution and keep yourself hydrated in case vomiting or loose stool starts.

Treatment.
Due to the toxins produced in the intestines the natural good bacterias present in gut are destroyed hence food is not digested properly i would suggest you to start giving him probiotic like VSL#3 daily.It contains good bacteria and would help to improve overall digestion of food.As digestion will improve symptoms improve.
Along with probiotic take Nexium 20 mg with OTC antacid peptobismol twice daily.This will provide you with immediate symptomatic relief.

For relief in spasmodic pain give him Dicyclomine 10 mg twice daily. To provide symptomatic relief in fever keep giviong Tylenol twice daily.
Take Fybrogel 2tsf daily with half cup of water.This is a fiber based product and would help in formation of bulky stools and proper stools.

Apart from medication-
Take light vegetarian and easily digestible food.
Take lots of yoghurt and food rich in lactobacillus.
Avoid alcohol or smoking.

You will be fine in a day or two.

Suggestion
As there is fever get a stool routine and microscopy test done as in some case gastroenteritis is caused by bacteria and protozoa.
As in that case antibacterial and protozoal therapy will be given for 5 days.

Hope i answered your query well.Feel free to follow up.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
TY we are doing these things.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Are you already giving him antispasmodic like Dicyclomine, Fybogel?

Dicyclomine is for spasmodic pain. In case if despite giving all these medications he is not improving then you should take him to the nearest emergency room and get an ultrasonogram abdomen done promptly to look into it in details.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee