Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain and nausea

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: my husband has severe pain in his lower left abdomen traveling around to his back. His pain is severe enough to cause him nausua
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rush to ER, needs urgent evaluation, investigations and proper treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/59 - severe pain in lower left abdomen - travelling around to the back - nausea - not visited a Doctor - no treatment yet...

The commonest reasons for such a pain is a ureteric colic usually due to impacted stone.
Another probable reasons can be Colitis, sigmoid volvulus.

I would advise him the following in such a situation:
- Rush to ER or nearest hospital:
Clinical evaluation
X- ray for KUB (Kidney ureter bladder)
X-ray in standing position to see any gas shadows
Ultrasound
Tests of blood and urine, stool if could give sample.

These will give a probable diagnosis and a plan for proper symptomatic relief, further investigations if required and curative treatment as per the cause found.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.