Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain and hair loss

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My daughter is experiencing severe abdominal pain, cannot tolerate sugars, has hair loss, has had numerous tests, can't find what's wrong
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual reports.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/48 (please mention this as yours or daughter's) - experiencing severe abdominal pain - can not tolerate sugars - hair loss - no positive findings in numerous tests - not mentioned the reports - consulted the Doctor - tried everything - only eats lettuce and salad...
Your mentioning the details about the tests and additional symptoms would help me more.
- Where exactly is the pain, which area of abdomen= whole or a particular part?
- Since when are the problems are present?
- Please post the reports of the tests and the treatment - medications taken.
- Any associated symptoms: Bloating, nausea, vomiting, loose stools?
- Any associated diseases like diabetes, thyroid problems or any other medical problems?
- The level of the stress and/or anxiety?

I would advise her the following in such a situation:
- To get the Specialist's opinion like that of a Gastroenterologist - medical and surgical for clinical evaluation, correlation between your symptoms, the signs that he finds and the investigations; to ask for further tests and appropriate management.
- Hair loss with other symptoms indicate deficiency of multivitamins and mineral due to reduced intake, inability of the intestines to absorb sufficiently.
Needs supplements.
- To rule out the diseases I mentioned above by appropriate blood tests.
- Contrast enhanced CT scan of the abdomen and colonoscopy if required.
- To stop sugars and anything that instigates or enhances the problems- Make a list of foods and beverages that do not suit the intestines and never to take these.
- Make another list of the foods and the beverages that perfectly suit her and to take all of these. Only Lettuce and salads will cause more harm in the near future, cause deficiency of the vitamins and minerals.

These will give you the most proper diagnosis and a plan for further management to get a probable cure.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication. Please give proper and detailed feedback so that we can discuss further.