• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain and constipation

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My Mom is experiencing constipation w pressure and pain. over the counter laxatives give little to no relief. This has been going on at least 6-8 weeks. Had a Doctors visit on Thursday. Doctor prescribed Constulose, , 15ml twice daily. I still have not had any movement. There was Doctors visit prior to Thursday, which involved her going into the hospital as a outpatient, because she was also suffering from dehydration. She was on blood pressure medication, but her decided that she not take it for a month.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get the blood pressure checked at the earliest. Increase fiber intake.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone carefully through the details. The entire presentation seems to sum up to one single cause i.e. slowing down of the bowel movements. Our bowels have a forward propulsive movement which moves the food forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally eliminated as feces. The key lies in regularization of the same. My suggestions for her would be to:
* Avoid long gaps between meals. Take small but frequent meals.
* Spicy food has to be avoided.
* It is very important to exercise regularly.
* High dietary fiber intake has to be ensured. Plenty of green leafy vegetables are to be taken. Fiber supplements like psyllium husk can also be taken along. This has to be taken daily at dinner irrespective of whether the problems are present. Constulose can be taken.
* Please go through the following for a list of fiber rich foods:
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml

Regarding the blood pressure medication she has taken a disastrous decision. Blood pressure medication should NEVER be discontinued like this at random. If doses are to be taken off, such a thing should be done only under the care of a physician. You should immediately get the blood pressure checked. Let me know and I will suggest accordingly. Please specify how long she has been doing this.

Hopefully that would help.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 13 minutes later
She is under her Doctors care. He Doctor suggested she not take her blood medication for a month with a follow up visit. My Mother has a blood pressure monitor to keep and record her pressure. This was discussed with her Doctor. My concern was she is n pain and has been for a number of weeks. She was just prescribed the Constulose on Thursday. She has be taking it as prescribed by her physician. She just wants to have a bowel movement seeing as how she's been on medication since Thursday. We just wanted another opinion. We were hoping for more insight n the matter. She will continue her medication. If no results by Monday morning, she should call he Doctor. Meanwhile we just some advice on the pain n pressure she is having. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suppositories and enemas will help in eliminating the retained stool + pain

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the clarifications. If the BP medication had been retracted under the care of a physician it is fine. Proper fiber intake seems the only way she can get a relief from the pain and discomfort she currently has. Suppositories and enemas can be used to help her clear the fecal content that lies impacted. Unless the residual fecal content can come out her bowels will keep trying to go into spasm in an attempt to propel them and she would continue to get the pain in the process.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha