Suggest treatment for severe abdominal bloating and cramps

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi.. I have Loose & narrow stool but yet with lots and lots of straining.. I don feel the complete emptiness even after the bowl movement..Im not having the urgue of going to bathroom at all.. i have to strain & struggle a lot for the pooping, which is not my usual way of health behaviour.. I have severe bloating, cramping & burping.. I had a bottle of miralax for a week & lots of prunes, coffee and lots of water.. I poop once/twice a day as small pieces, but with lot of straining.. Sometimes i get irritation in the urine, when i strain a lot... I feel like as if some thing is blocking my ANUS, from pooping...this is reoccurring after 2-3 weeks... Really being a very irritating issue.. Please help me to recover at the earliest..
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
To check for partial Intestinal obstruction

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.
Based on your symptoms I would like to rule out partial Intestinal obstruction.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*what is your height and weight?
*how long have you had these symptoms?
*are the symptoms getting progressively worse?
*what do you do for a living?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?
*do you have children?
*any history of surgery in the past?
*any history of diarrhea or constipated in the recent past? (in the past 2 years)
*are your menstrual cycles regular?
*any weight changes in the past month?

I recommend :
-a gastroenterologist consult
-a colonoscopy to check for any tumors or inflammation and a biopsy if required
-an endoscopy if clinically indicated
-an ultrasound of the abdomen. A CT scan if required
-blood tests (complete blood count, Thyroid stimulating hormone, kidney and liver function tests, alkaline phosphatase levels, lactate dehydrogenase levels, carcinoembryonic antigen CA 19-9 levels)
- complete stool analysis.
-urine analysis

The above will be individualized to your clinical exam results. You may not need all these tests.
I urge you to see a doctor right away.

-Drink plenty of water
-exercise (walk for a half hour every day)
-avoid fiber supplements. Take natural fiber foods.
-chew food thoroughly before swallowing.
-Have smaller but frequent meals.
-practice deep breathing exercises a
-practice pelvic floor strengthening exercise like kegels (like the one practiced for labour)
-avoid spicy. Oily & fatty food, sugary, carbonated beverages.
-keep caffeine intake to a minimum (a cup a day)

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 37 minutes later
Hi Shuba.. Thanks for your reply..

Please find the answers below for your questions:-

*what is your height and weight? -> 5 feet & 6 inches - 51 KG
*how long have you had these symptoms? -> more than a week
*are the symptoms getting progressively worse? -> not really, but sometimes I strain more
*what do you do for a living? ->I work as IT Professional in USA, for CITI bank
*do you smoke or consume alcohol? -> NO
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications? -> NO
*do you have children? ->NO
*any history of surgery in the past? ->NO
*any history of diarrhea or constipated in the recent past? (in the past 2 years) -> yes, had diarrhea couple of months back, due to food poison. Constipated, last year.
*are your menstrual cycles regular? -> Yes
*any weight changes in the past month? ->NO

I'm very scared whether this will be a serious issue which will be requiring any surgery..
What would be the cause for this ?
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either irritable bowel or obstruction

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up and clarifications.
It could be just an irritable bowel due to inflammation (irritable bowel) or it could be physical obstruction (tumor or polyp- frequently benign) .

The former is mostly treated with proper diet, lifestyle modifications and media.
The latter, however, may require removal by surgery. Either way, the sooner it is diagnosed & treated, the better.
I urge you to consider my earlier recommendations.
Don't panic now. Just take it one step at a time.
Getting checked is the first and big step.

Wish you good health

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX . Thanks again..

Couple of issues I want to ask about, as,
1. Bloating is severe after eating.
2. The color of the poop is yellow (long, soft & narrow stool) light-colored, foul-smelling stools when I strain a lot.
3. Stools are kind of dissolvable and may float when flushed.
4. or stick to the sides of the toilet bowl.

Please your suggestion on the same.
Brief Answer:
To check for Pancreatitis /cholecystitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up.

Pancreatitis (inflammation of the Pancreas) or cholecystitis (inflammation of the gall bladder) can coexist & cause upper abdominal pain, vomiting, bloating and fatty stools that float or stick.
Gastritis needs to be ruled out as well.

A sound clinical exam along with. An ultrasound of the abdomen ( a CT scan of the abdomen, if needed) and blood tests (lipase, amylase, lactate dehydrogenase levels, c-reactive protein) in addition to those I mentioned earlier.

*have you increased fiber in your diet or take fiber supplements ?
*what color is your urine ?
*you mentioned yellow stools-have they been yellow or recently or all the time ? What color is it usually ?
*any mucus present along with stools ? How frequently do you pass stools ?
*is your diet rich in animal protein and fat ? Sugar ?

Hope this helps.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 5 hours later
Hi shuba..
Thanks for reply..
i do not have any abdominal pain, vomiting..
my answers below:
*have you increased fiber in your diet or take fiber supplements ? -> No, fibre supplement.. jus started to eat prunes a lot, for this problem.
*what color is your urine ? -> normal
*you mentioned yellow stools-have they been yellow or recently or all the time ? What color is it usually ? -> actually not yellow exactly, its kind of yellow with brown. Usually i will have brown.
*any mucus present along with stools ? How frequently do you pass stools ? -> twice a day, with lots of straining
*is your diet rich in animal protein and fat ? Sugar ? -> yes, for sugar & protein.not aure, for fat.

Please suggest me forthe same.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reduce animal protein & sugar intake.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up.

Please reduce animal protein and sugar intake. Have lots of fresh fruits & vegetables.
Avoid refined grains and processed foods and stick to whole grains and homemade foods.

I urge to consider my earlier recommendations. You don't seem to be having much of an inflammatory process. I would like to rule out partial Intestinal obstruction & cholecystitis.

Hope I've helped.
Please let me know if you have any further queries. I'd be happy to help.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 15 minutes later
Hi.. u mean to say that i have partial intestinal obstruction & cholecystitis.. ?
Sorry, i m not getting you..
Brief Answer:
Confirmation diagnosis only being seen by a doctor & necessary tests

Detailed Answer:
I would like to rule it out based on your symptoms.
As I am not able to examine you, I would like for you to be examined by a doctor and have tests done to rule these out.
The diagnoses are a possibility and needs to be checked out.
Straining for stools, thin narrow Fecal matter, severe bloating after meals are symptoms that are suggestive of partial Intestinal obstruction and cholecystitis.
Confirmed diagnosis can be made only after seeing a doctor.

Hope I've answered your query.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad