Suggest treatment for severe abdominal bloating and constipation

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am 40 years old and I had an hysterectomy one year ago how important are hormones and not taking they can effect you how. Also I have alot of bloating, constipation, and severe acid reflux and I think I may be depressed. I can I do to help myself.

Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explanation is given below....

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query.

I have read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Hormone replacement therapy is used to relieve effects of menopause(natural or surgical as you) such as:
hot flushes
genito-urinary issue (vaginal atrophy)
night sweats
mood swings
prevent weakening of the bones(osteoporosis)
and other symptoms.

But use of hormone replacement therapy can cause and side effects such as:
breast tenderness
headaches
nausea
indigestion
abdominal (tummy) pain
vaginal bleeding

Hence if you have hot flashes and /or night sweats with vaginal dryness you can contact with a doctor to start hormone replacement therapy.
Meanwhile if you haven't any above symptoms of your low female hormones and you have a lot of bloating ,constipation with severe acid reflux ,use of hormone replacement therapy can aggravate all these symptoms,especially acid reflux.

Hope I was helpful and feel free for further discussion.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad