Suggest treatment for severe abdominal bloating and back pain

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Im a 20 year old uni student. In october is when all this started.

I had severe bloating and back pain for around a week and a half but then it disappeared and have never had it since. However I noticed a hardish tubular horizontal lump in my lower left abdomen above the hip bone around the size of a thick sausage-noticed more when pressing deeply, but sometimes it feels closer, the lump has never protruded and even when I breathe in and have a very flat stomach you cant see anything at all. The lump sort of feels like hard muscle as it has very slight give to it. So im worried I have some form of sarcoma

My GP just keeps saying its stool, but it cant be as its there all of the time whether I go to the toilet or not

Naturally I started prodding and poking lots and in early december I started getting stabbing pains there. Since november I have also had a change in bowel habits. The first part starts off formed then by a soft stool (not liquid but very soft) I had also noticed some blood and mucus, though I have only noticed this around 4 times when I first started noticing all this and seems to have stopped completely now

I have also now started getting dull pains in my upper left abdomen near the ribs sort of where I imagine the stomach is , and there is sometimes gurgling in that area.

I have had a flexible sigmoidoscopy , blood tests (all normal) I also did a CEA test which was 0.9 , a CA125 test 8.6 and alpha feto protein 2.5 which are all apparently in normal ranges. And had an abdominal ultrasound which was normal, but it didnt feel like they went over that area so they were not going to see what it was.

The doctors just seem so uninterested, not helping and im scared that this is cancer that has spread now there is pain in two locations
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should help your bowels regain the normal function again...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

To summarize your case:
- 20 years old female
- symptoms: hardish tubular horizontal lump in lower left abdomen which is not present when breathe in or flat stomach
- clinical examinations, blood tests, sigmoidoscopy : negative

To start from beginning:
- bloating, pain when passing stool; changes in bowel movement (bm) habits : sometimes soft and then, hard with blood and mucus; altogether indicating constipation.

Being a uni.student, you do not have time to feed healthy and normally. This will affect negatively your bm.
When stool is hard, it will lacerate the bowel mucosa when passing through. This laceration is associated with blood and mucus that you noticed.

Hemorrhoids is always accompanying hard stool or constipation and are also associate with blood and mucus.

When feces get difficulty in passing through the bowels, they will remain inside more than usual and will get bigger. This explains why you feel this sausage sized lump on your lower left abdomen.

Next, when you breathe in and on flat stomach, the fecal mass will move explaining why you can't touch it.

The pain you have is because the extended bowels will put pressure on nearby structures including the nearby nerves.

Sigmoidoscopy would catch any trace of cancer or other problems if present.
If it was negative, it means, that nothing serious or unusual was found.

- The very best thing to do in your case is to help your bowels regain the normal function. Once this is achieved, I'm sure you won't have such problems anymore.

So, try to:
- increase fluids intake
- take more fiber rich foods
- fiber supplements containing prunes or psyllium can help
- have your meals regularly
- avoid foods that would make your bowels go lazy
- go to toilet each time you get the feeling, do not delay. If you do not go in time, your bowels won't empty properly, and fecal mass will remain inside the bowel, causing its enlargement and getting hard stool.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further queries.
Dr.Albana