Suggest treatment for severe UTI causing delirium in an elderly person

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My mother is 77 years old. She keeps getting UTI. They are causing severe delirium. She has been cultured with ESPL, VRE are the superbugs. They are telling us that she is colonized and will always show some type of bug in her urine. She has had over 12 UTI since XXXXXXX 28th to present. The infectious disease doctor and urologist don't believe she has an active infection with all the antibiotics she has been given. They say the confusion is advanced dementia which she did not even have dementia before this so hard to believe but I guess possible. She seemed to improve on IV antibiotics but when they switched her to pills the delirium seemed to get worse.

Questions:
Should they not be able to tell why she keeps getting these UTI?
They did do a CT scan and it did not show anything.
Because of the delirium/dementia she has had to be placed in a nursing home and they are going off the recommendation of Infectious Disease and not treating or testing her urine tell she shows major signs of infection. She has never run a fever in the past with her UTI but has always presented with the same symptoms. How do you know when to treat and when not to treat.
Is there anything we can do

Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent UTI should've a cause and needs treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello MB Sars and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, I can understand your concern.
You should attach following reports,so as to get an expert opinion :
1. urine routine and culture.
2. blood routine, creatinine, RBS,LFT,Platelets, and electrolytes.
3. CT scan report.
After seeing these reports, an expert opinion can be given.
Kindly mention present medication.
Wish her good health.
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat.
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 17 hours later
I will work on getting these
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mbsars,

You are welcome to send all reports.

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat.